Friday, December 14, 2012

Book Beginnings Friday: Dreams of Joy

Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author.


 I'm reading Dreams of Joy by Lisa See:

The wail of a police siren in the distance tears through my body. Crickets whir in a never-ending chorus of blame. My aunt whimpers in her twin bed at the other end of the screened porch we share - a reminder of the misery and embarrassment from the secrets she and my mother threw at each other during their argument tonight.

I love Lisa See's books. This one is the sequel to Shanghai Girls which I read earlier this year. I'm only about 60 pages in so far, but I am captivated already. Joy has left Los Angeles Chinatown for China to find her real father. The book is set in the late 1950s, when Mao is in power in The People's Republic of China. I love reading Lisa See's books because I feel I always get great insight into the Chinese culture.
 
Have you read this or any other book by Lisa See?

6 comments:

  1. I really like the beginning. I've never read any Lisa See...but I've always been curious. Which book would you recommend?

    Here's my beginning:
    http://morosebookshelf.blogspot.com/2012/12/book-beginnings-icy-sparks.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - that's my favorite of hers. I also read Shanghai Girls which was good and Peony in Love - didn't like that one as much.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of her books. Here is my post:
    BBF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like reading about other cultures, she's one to try.

      Delete
  3. A dramatic beginning that pulls the reader right in. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read any of her books Laurel?

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love interacting with other book lovers and appreciate any thoughts or feedback! If you read a book after seeing my review, please let me know. Come back and leave me a link to your review so I can read it. Thank you!!!

 

Always With a Book Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare