Saturday, February 01, 2014

Month in Review: January 2014

Wow - first month of the new year has flown by!!! So far, it's been a pretty good year, reading-wise, but weather-wise - not so much! It's been really cold here in NY - lots of snow and below-normal temps. I don't usually mind the winter, but this year, it's really getting to me. 

Luckily my blogging buddy Felicia over at The Geeky Bloggers Book Blog has a year-long group called the Book Blog Walkers, where she is challenging us to be active for at least 30 minutes a day. We're on twitter using the hashtag #bookblogwalkers and have ourselves a great, supportive group!!!  This has been super motivating for me and each week Felicia does a check-in so you can post how your week has been. As some of you know, I'm training to walk my first 1/2 marathon in March, so, between the two, I'm keeping active!!!



Here are my reading stats for January!
  • Books read:  16

Books I read
  1. While We Were Watching Downton Abbey  -- Wendy Wax
  2. Halfway There -- Susan Mallery (e-book)
  3. Fear Nothing-- Lisa Gardner
  4. Love Water Memory -- Jennie Shortridge
  5. Whiskey Beach -- Nora Roberts (audio)
  6. In the Blood -- Lisa Unger (e-book)
  7. Destined for Love --Melissa Foster (e-book)
  8. The Splendour Falls -- Susanna Kearsley (e-book)
  9. Friendship on Fire -- Melissa Foster (e-book)
  10. The Trouble with Love -- Beth Ciotta
  11. The Secret Life of Bees -- Sue Monk Kidd (audio)
  12. Big Girl Panties -- Stephanie Evanovich
  13. Never Knowing -- Chevy Stevens (audio)
  14. Sea of Love -- Melissa Foster (e-book)
  15. The Other Side -- Chevy Stevens (e-book)
  16. Honeymoon in Paris -- Jojo Moyes (e-book)

Favorite Book of January:  
 

  • The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd


2014 Challenge Update:
  •  You Read How Many Books Reading Challenge -- Books read: 13/150
  •  Library Books Reading Challenge -- Books read: 1/50
  •  Mount TBR Reading Challenge -- Books read: 2/36
  •  Review Pile Books Reading Challenge -- Books read: 0/10
  •  Netgalley Reading Challenge -- Books read: 2/15
  •  First Reads Reading Challenge -- Books read: 4/26
  •  Quick Fix Fiction Reading Challenge -- Books read: 5/15
  •  Chunkster Reading Challenge -- Books read: 0/5
  •  E-books Challenge -- Books read: 8/25
  •  Historical Fiction Challenge -- Books read: 0/25
  •  Nonfiction Reading Challenge -- Books read: 0/5
  •  Finish the Series Fiction Challenge -- Series completed: 0/4
  •  Audio Book Challenge -- Books listened to: 3/25

12 comments:

  1. Great job reading 16 books this month! And getting a nice head start on a lot of your challenges! Hope Feb is just as productive. :)

    Erin @ Let's Evaluate
    check out my Jan Warp Up & Feb TBR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the crazy winter weather helped - didn't want to leave the house!

      Delete
  2. I wasn't so impressed with The Secret Life of Bees but you loved it. Just goes to show how subjective reviews are. You had a good month in books :)
    http://booketta.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/its-wrap-end-of-month-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did hear that it was a hit or miss book with some people. That's what I like about reading other people's reviews. Not everyone is going to have the same reaction to a book.

      Delete
  3. Its been crazy cold here in Minnesota too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...you guys are definitely getting it worse than us, but it's been unseasonable all around. Let's hope this isn't a sign of what's to come for the summer!

      Delete
  4. I need to combine my month end review with book budget I think :)

    You did awesome this month. Lets kick Feb Arse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good idea - combining the two.

      Yes - let's kick some good arse in Feb!!!

      Delete
  5. Great reading month! The Secret Life of Bees sounds like its good, I may listen to the audio. Will look forward to your review of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees on audio, so much in fact, that I ended up getting a copy of The Invention of Wings (her latest) in audio, too, even though I already have that in print. And, I started listening to it and am loving it!

      Delete
  6. wow, 16 books! I'm glad I reached half, lol, also because of too much snow, sigh... here is my warp-up: http://wordsandpeace.com/2014/02/02/2014-january-wrap-up/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reading month! You blew my 5 out of the water. Here's to February being just as great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love interacting with other book lovers and appreciate any thoughts or feedback! If you read a book after seeing my review, please let me know. Come back and leave me a link to your review so I can read it. Thank you!!!

 

Always With a Book Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare