Saturday, July 12, 2014

Review: Little Lies by Heather Gudenkauf

Title: Little Lies    
Author: Heather Gudenkauf     
Published: March 2014, Harlequin  
Format: E-book, 45 pages   
Source: Personal copy 

In this riveting prequel to her novel Little Mercies, New York Times bestselling author Heather Gudenkauf explores how even the smallest lies can have far-reaching consequences.

When the body of a woman is discovered in a local park—with her bewildered four-year-old son sitting beside her—veteran social worker Ellen Moore is called in to assist in the police investigation. Positioned beneath a statue of Leto, the goddess of motherhood, the crime is weighted with meaning and, Ellen discovers, remarkably similar to one from a decade past.

Ellen's professional duty is to protect the child, but she's not equipped to contend with a killer. As she races to connect the dots, she knows her time is running out. And the stakes are high: if she fails, another mother is sure to make the ultimate sacrifice.

My thoughts: This short novella is a prequel to Heather Gudenkauf's newest full-length novel, Little Mercies, which was just released. It introduces us to the main character in that book, Ellen Moore. I loved how we not only got to see Ellen in action - she's a social worker - but we also got to know about Ellen as a person - learn about her family life and how she tries to balance the two.

This was my first introduction to Heather Gudenkauf's writing and I really enjoyed it. I am currently reading Little Mercies and it's quite intense. I have a feeling Heather Gudenkauf is going to be another go-to author for me. 

Have you read any of her previous books? If so, which would you recommend I read next?


4 comments:

  1. I love all her previous books! While I recommend reading them all, the Weight of Silence is the one that has most stuck with me. Glad you enjoyed this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Little Mercies - I need to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd recommend The Weight of Silence although all three are worth a read.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love interacting with other book lovers and appreciate any thoughts or feedback! If you read a book after seeing my review, please let me know. Come back and leave me a link to your review so I can read it. Thank you!!!

 

Always With a Book Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Online Shop Vector by Artshare